Sunday, February 25, 2007

Whew-- catching up!

I have been a bad, bad blogger. Mea culpa. Or mea blogga. Or whatever.

Let's see-- the last time I really wrote was on Jan. 16. We'd had a glorious snow day-- 5-6" of snow, ultimately, that managed to shut Portland down for a couple of days. Great fun while it lasted.

On Jan. 29, I came home from school to find a cardboard box on the porch.

I opened it to find....

My book! Gargoyles! The publisher sent me 50 advance copies-- I guess for sending out to reviewers, etc. The book wasn't due for official release until Feb. 15, so this was quite a surprise! I have to admit, it's pretty cool to actually hold in your hands a book that you wrote.

Feb. 3-- I celebrated Imbolc with a couple of Grey School friends. We did a very simple firelighting ceremony and then made Brighid's crosses. Go here to see photos. The crosses came out really nice.

Feb. 15-- Gargoyles officially hit the shelves. Bill and I actually went downtown to Powells to see if we could find it on the shelves. And we did! Bill took pictures of me pointing to the book-- I'd post them here, but they're still stuck on his camera. (Soon....)

And yes, I will make royalties from book sales, so buy copies for your friends, please. (My publicist tells me that, as an author, I must become comfortable with shameless self promotion.)

School is fine. Busy. I'm teaching a class in creative nonfiction, which is going well. And trying to get my second book written-- it must be finished by mid-April. I'm on schedule to finish my first MA (writing) this spring, and the second MA (English lit) next fall. Keep fingers tightly crossed. Magickal efforts also appreciated.

I'm also still working as coordinator of the graduate writing association-- WEGO. Look here to see the blog/listings I'm responsible for. Lots of good stuff there, if you're a writer-- feel free to grab onto anything that looks interesting.

I'm also trying to keep track of Mom. She's hit a plateau, recovery-wise, and Joe and I are trying to puzzle out what would be the best next step. She is home with Joe right now. I send out an every-so-often email update about her. If you want to be on the list, email me at

The picture at the top was taken a week ago as Bill and I drove home from a visit to Mom; the picture is from the high desert, just southeast of Maupin, about 15 minutes before sunset. It was gorgeous.

My knee is recovering slowly. I'm still going to PT every week or so. Funny how recovery slows down as you get a little older. *frown*

Wish I had something more exciting to say, but that's about it for now.


Oranstar said...

Are you kidding? That's as much excitment as I have had in 6 months!! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back, Mom! Why have I not received a book yet??!! Mail me one. And include my necklace? : )