Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Back in the Garden

Got a bit of gardening done today. I've been ill the last few days-- achy and exhausted and running waxing and waning fevers up to 103 deg, which takes a wild toll on the adult corpus. Today I felt good enough to go out into the yard, and in about forty-five minutes I weeded most of one raised bed, installed a nice layer of rich, wet, black compost, and planted some bush beans, which I'd had soaking overnight. The warm sun felt good on my back, and the compost smelled rich and feral. There's something important about growing one's own food-- even if one only grows a pot of herbs or a couple of tomato plants. There may be no better way to embrace the cycles of light and life, to sing along with the Universe's sacred music and feel like you know the words.

No comments: